Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Shutting The Back Door

Most people I know who, like me, have lost weight have two wardrobes: a fat wardrobe and a skinny wardrobe. The skinny wardrobe is made up of clothes we can now wear. The fat wardrobe is made up of old favorites, clothes that gave us comfort, or for whatever emotional or financial reason, keeps is from getting rid of them. I have a pair of bluejeans that fall in that category. They are special to me because they are hand-me-downs from my son! When I lost over 100 lbs he gave them to me because the jeans were too small for him (he was wearing his "fat" wardrobe at the time).

I lost enough weight that had started wearing smaller jeans than this favorite pair. But I held on to those jeans because they were significant to me. And I held on to a lot of my other "fat" clothes, most just because I didn't take the time to get rid of them.

I had left the back door open to regaining weight. What later started out as a minor fluctuation, or up tick in my weight continued going up without alarm or reignited concern from me partly because I had an entire "fat" wardrobe waiting to accommodate me.

By neglecting to get rid of bigger clothes I gave myself an avenue to get bigger without being forced to realize that it had to stop. I had left a back door open to regain weight I had lost. And this has happened more than once.

By holding on to our "fat" clothes for whatever reason/rational we use to defend keeping them, we put ourselves on the road to regaining weight previously lost. So it's time to make some tough decisions. I just got back to wearing some of my smaller clothes, especially some smaller jeans. So I'm taking that special pair of jeans and taking them to Goodwill. I'm putting some other items with the jeans, things I've held on to but don't have to wear because I'm into some smaller clothes: printed t shirts, khaki cargo pants, polos, dress clothes and more. I'm going to shut the back door to regaining weight I have worked hard to lose.

Get rid of that old "fat" wardrobe and celebrate the new you. Shut the back door to gaining/regaining weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment