Friday, April 8, 2011

Serendipitous Almond Milk

I've seen almond milk on the shelf and have read some folks recommending it, but I mostly ignored it. I thought of almond milk as just a bit of over reach that wouldn't make much difference in the long run. I didn't think the the results would be worth the additional expense.

However, I decided to give it a try this week. Let me tell you what I learned just by comparing the nutritional tables between 1% milk (I normally use 2% - when I'm not using water) and almond milk. Just for the record, by the time milk is reduced down to 2% or less, it is treated almost like a sugar water by the body when being digested. First, almond milk has fewer calories. A cup of unsweetened almond milk has 40 calories, while a cup of 1% milk has 200! That cup of almond milk only has 2g of carbohydrate, the 1% milk has 24g (to maintain weight you only need about 150; that cup of 1% milk becomes 1/6 of what you need for the day). The lopsided comparison goes on. Nutritionally, almond milk is far superior to bovine milk.

Now here's the real surprise: I was trying this out in my chocolate Shakeology. My expectations were low, but I was blown away by how much better my chocolate Shakeology tasted. Today I tried it with greenberry Shakeology. I've always liked greenberry, but adding almond milk to it - wow!

Here's the way I made my greenberry Shakeology: 1 scoop greenberry Shakeology, 3/4 cuo of Dole frozen mixed fruit, 4 Tblspns of Dannon Light and Fit vanilla yogurt, and 1 cup of Blue Diamond unsweetened almond milk. Absolutely great.

No comments:

Post a Comment