Sunday, December 11, 2011

Hitting HIITs Again

I went to Coop's today (an area fitness center) and started using the treadmill. I will probably walk for a week or more before I start running on the treadmill doing HITTs. It's been since about February of last year since I've done this. That is when I let my membership at ZX expire. I was pit out with the filth and broken machinery. I started aggressively riding the bike, but that never equaled the amount of activity I had put out by going regularly to the fitness center. I walked 5 miles up hill (20% to 60% grade) with the pace mostly between 30 and 40. My BPM ranged from 130 to 150. I walked 5 miles like this. It took 90 mins and supposedly I burned 531 calories.

So the debrief: how does this help, why has not doing it hurt, what's the dynamic? My first impression is the power of the "calories burned" read out. I did all that and only burned 531 calories. I would have to do,that every day to burn a pound's worth of calories off. That sure puts me in a frame of mind to maintain the gains. It is a motivator in itself.

My plan is to walk and then begin the HIITs. Running more will burn more calories faster, but not really significantly so. When I was doing this before I would have to push 45 mins to approach burning 500 calories, but I was so done for that it was difficult to reach that number.

Now to find the motivation to add the P90X back in.

No comments:

Post a Comment