Sunday, December 11, 2011

I Thought Trigger Was A Horse!

Looking into the reasons I am overeating I came across a website (http://www.medicinenet.com/emotional_eating/article.htm) that offered this observation: there are certain events/settings that trigger overeating. Here is the list offered on that web page:

SOCIAL: Eating when around other people. For example, excessive eating can result from being encouraged by others to eat; eating to fit in; arguing; or feelings of inadequacy around other people.

EMOTIONAL: Eating in response to boredom, stress, fatigue, tension, depression, anger, anxiety or loneliness as a way to "fill the void."

SITUATIONAL: Eating because the opportunity is there. For example, at a restaurant, seeing an advertisement for a particular food, passing by a bakery. Eating may also be associated with certain activities such as watching TV, going to the movies or a sporting event, etc.

THOUGHTS: Eating as a result of negative self-worth or making excuses for eating. For example, scolding oneself for looks or a lack of will power.

PHYSIOLOGICAL: Eating in response to physical cues. For example, increased hunger due to skipping meals or eating to cure headaches or other pain.

So, I see more than one trigger for me here and maybe some that are hard to classify in this list. Like an alcoholic who drinks alone I find that alone I like to eat. I don't think it is a response to loneliness. I'm comfortable being with people or being by myself. Maybe it is more like I can eat without shame if no one is around. But it's not always that. When others are around I am motivated to do more. When no one is around I let myself off the hook for responsible behavior. Is anyone else like that? But what is it about no one around that triggers the over eating?

Sometimes, at school I get a craving for a honeybun. That's over 500 calories by itself. That's equal to three Shakeology shakes. But when I get one, I don't want anyone to know. I go to the snack machine and slip it into my pocket after I buy it. Then walk back to my room or to the kitchen, get a cup of coffee and in just a couple of minutes the honeybun is gone. It just makes me feel good afterward. Is that the trigger in that circumstance: believing that it will make me feel better?

Eating large portions of comfort food is also something I do. Pastas are a problem area here. I am comforted by the warm feeling I get from eating a hot pasta dish.

Okay, there may be several triggers for me, and I eat like a horse or with a s little sense as a horse when I get a trigger in my routine. So two things coming from this: first, how do I manage the triggers and, second, what does the lack of motivation have to do with this. More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment